Just another single dad trying to raise a son in this crazy world. Read about our ups and downs ... and adventures ... as we try to grow up together.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Moments like these...

In just three short years I have cleaned up Wyatt’s mishaps more times than I can count. Puke from the car seat, floor of the car, his clothes, his bed, my bed. It’s my thought Wyatt was allergic to something last winter so he vomited numerous times. So many he knew when it was coming and would tell me so. After a while it didn’t really bother me too bad. Except one night at dinner, we had just sat down and no sooner finished our prayer when Wyatt hurled all in his plate. Neither of us ate our dinner that night. We never figured out what it was that made him sick but fortunately he got over it.

Then there’s the other end. Wyatt unfortunately has been tough to potty train. The peeing part went pretty well all though he still misses the toilet. But the bowel movements have been a little tougher to get under control. Lot’s of people have said’ “Oh boys are just harder to train.” Then I ask how well their son took to it and it’s, “Well my son was trained at two!” Thanks just what I wanted to hear. But truth is he’s getting much better but last week I got a surprise. I had put Wyatt in the tub and left for just a few minutes while he played with his bath toys. When I returned, he looked up at me and said, “Daddy…can you put this piece of pooh in the potty for me?” Yeah, I shook my head and laughed too! What else could I do but tell him please don’t do that again.

Then there was last weekend when we went to Target, Wyatt is not a good shopper. He loves the carts that have the plastic seat area but he uses very little of the seat. After numerous times of pleading with him to sit down Wyatt said, “Daddy I love you.” There was an older gentleman near by that heard Wyatt. I could see the smile on his face. I said’ “I love you too, son.” If Wyatt only knew at that moment he could have had any toy in the store...I’d be broke right now, wait a minute...I am!

Yes, it’s a laugh a minute...later that same weekend we were going to a local arcade and restaurant with an enormous amount of games. However, before we were to leave I told Wyatt we needed to take a nap. He said sure and laid down with his blanket and pillow on the living room floor and me on the couch. Thirty minutes later I woke to see Wyatt playing. He gave me a devilish grin. I said, “I thought you were supposed to be asleep?” To which he answered, “I told you I was done napping but ….you didn’t here me.” We went to the arcade where Wyatt had a blast and on the way to the car he said, “Daddy that was great fun!” and laid his head on my shoulder from exhaustion of playing so hard…. and no nap.

Each and every moment I have with my son is a true blessing and I thank God everyday for the gift I call “Wyatt.”

As I went down to the river to pray
Studying about that good old way
And who shall wear the robe and crown
Good Lord show me the way
By Allison Krauss

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home